[Histonet] immuno diluent vs. buffer question

Michele Wich mwich <@t> 7thwavelabs.com
Fri Sep 19 08:09:26 CDT 2008

I have a question for those doing immunos by hand. I typically dilute my
primary, secondary and tertiary antibodies with manufacturer supplied
diluent. Recently, I was running a test to determine the source of a
mysterious precipitate that had begun to appear on my slides (It has
since then disappeared just as mysteriously). In one of the conditions,
I substituted the diluent with TBST for all dilutions. I found that this
particular slide had noticeably less background. When inquiring as to
what I should be diluting these reagents with, I received conflicting
answers from tech support. I heard that the secondary and tertiary
antibodies should be diluted with what they are actually in, i.e. .05%
TBS or 1M PBS. I also was told that I could dilute everything with
diluent.

Can anyone tell me which is correct? Or why using the buffer yielded
less background than the diluent? Aside from sodium azide and BSA I
don't know what's in the proprietary reagent.

This communication is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Anyone who receives this message in error should notify the sender immediately and delete it from his or her computer