[Histonet] Re: (no subject) (Geoff McAuliffe)

Jean-Martin Lapointe jm.lapointe <@t> accellab.com
Wed Sep 17 12:28:00 CDT 2008

Tojo,
Geoff provides very good pointers, but I think his option 3. is the correct one in your case, i.e. what looks like 'holes' are areas of glycogen and/or lipid that are unstained with the technique you are using. If your rats are not fasted prior to euthanasia, the cytoplasm of the hepatocytes will be filled with glycogen. Trying a PAS would likely confirm this, by staining the clear areas positive.

Jean-Martin

__________________________________
Jean-Martin Lapointe, DMV, dACVP
AccelLAB Inc

------------------------------
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:17:48 -0400
From: Geoff McAuliffe <mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu>
Subject: Re: [Histonet] (no subject)
To: "TOJO (Torben Seested Johansen)" <tojo <@t> novonordisk.com>

Dear Tojo:

    Your problem could be due to 3 things. 1. Waiting too long to fix
the tissue. 2. Freezing too slowly. 3. Interpreting the lack of staining
of hepatocyte glycogen as an artifact.

1. You are waiting 5 minutes after death to fix the tissue. There is
absolutely NO reason to spend 5 min pumping 100 ml of PBS through the
circ. system. You will never wash out all of the blood and there is no
need to. AND when you finally get to fixative, the flow of fixative is
too low. Here is the solution to your problem.

Use a 16 g needle in the L. vent.
Pump 10-15 ml of room temperature PBS into the rat in 15-20 seconds.
Pump 300 ml of room temperatue fix in 5 minutes. The fix is 4%
paraformaldehyde for light microscopy. For transmission EM the fix is 2
or 3 or  4% paraformaldehyde with 1% glutaraldehyde. Buffer can be
either phosphate or cacodylate. The advantage of cac. buffer is that you
can add some calcium salts to stabilize membranes for EM (2milleMole)
without percipitation.Yes, you can add Ca salts to phos. buffer but it
will precipitate instantly (look up the solubility of CaPhosphate, or
should I say the insolubility). Of course, cacodylate has arsenic in it
so don't lick your fingers.
Remove liver and cut into appropriate sized pieces. For light microscopy
fix as long as possible, formalin reacts with tissue very slowly.
Glutaraldehyde fixed much faster, an hour or two is plenty.
Cryoprotect with sucrose.
2. Tissue must be frozen VERY QUICKLY with 2-methylbutane (isopentane)
cooled with dry ice or liquid nitrogen otherwise you will have large
holes due to ice crystal formation.
3. The stain you are using, Tol.Blue will not stain glycogen so you may
have empty-looking areas because of this. Use Periodic acid Schiff for
glycogen but NOT after glutaraldehyde fixation.

Geoff