[Histonet] Re: paraformaldehyde grade

Hobbs, Carl carl.hobbs <@t> kcl.ac.uk
Sat Sep 13 11:51:16 CDT 2008

Hi.
I am interested in David's post:
I too wished to change to Prills for weighing out PFA because the usual crystaline PFA is such a fine powder that it tends to "float" around, when weighing.
( conforming  to Health and Safety recommendations by weighing the latter out in a fume hood.... The powder just went all over the place ;-)
Hence "Prills"....
i thought that they would be the answer!
However, as Prills do not dissolve completely, as David indicated ( crystals  dissolve completely),
I judged that the additional filtration of the Prill-derived Formalin fixing fluid  is another "complication" that is more likely to cause problems (spillage, inappropriate disposal of filters...for eg)

So, I would be very grateful for any thoughts/recommendations on this.
NB: Not practicable to use commercial vials as we do a lot of perfusions.
Best wishes.
Carl