[Histonet] Re: paraformaldehyde grade

David A. Wright dw18 <@t> uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 11 19:33:17 CDT 2008

Hi Mary, René, & Histonet

I agree with René completely about concentration & different
paraformaldehyde grades but you might want to consider a
couple of other issues too:
a) physical state.  A coarse prill is much easier to weigh out
without contamination than a fine powder.
b) filtration.  Before perfusing the brains you have to filter
out anything that might clog the capillaries. There's usually
a milky haze left after dissolving the paraformaldehyde which
you have to remove.  I imagine that a lower grade might have
more undissolved matter, and you have to change filters a lot
even with good stuff (approx every half liter).
-David
------
David A. Wright PhD
University of Chicago Section of Neurosurgery