[Histonet] Quantifying lipid in rat liver

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Thu Sep 11 17:33:18 CDT 2008

You could try this:

Linoleic Acid Method for the demonstration of Lipids in Paraffin
Sections

Tracy & Walia (2002) have described an ingenious method to fix lipids
for staining fat embolism in paraffin sections:

(Tracy, R.E., Walia, P., (2002) "A Method to fix lipids for staining fat
embolism in paraffin sections" Histopath 41:75-79)

Solutions:

1.	Saturated solution of linoleic acid in 70% ethylene glycol
To 500ml of 70% ethylene glycol, add 5g linoleic acid and 2g lecithin,
mix for one hour and stand for several hours. Draw off the lower phase
in a separatory funnel

2.	2% chromic acid

3.	70 % ethanol

4.	5% Sodium bicarbonate

Method:
1.	Place 2mm thick sections in solution 1 for 3 days at 56oC
2.	Rinse for 8 hours in 70% ethanol
3.	Rinse in water for 8 hours
4.	Immerse in 2% chromic acid for 24 hours at 4oC.
5.	Rinse in water for 24 hours
6.	Place in 5% sodium bicarbonate for 24 hours
7.	Rinse in water 8 hours
8.	Process from 70% ethanol via ethanol and xylene to wax.
9.	Cut paraffin sections and stain with the usual fat stains (eg
oil red O) and mount in an aqueous mountant.

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145