[Histonet] Protocol: Saving unstained slides...

Greg Dobbin gvdobbin <@t> ihis.org
Thu Sep 11 13:02:09 CDT 2008

Hi Daniel,
All of our "blanks" are saved for a short time (ie 2-4 weeks) just in
case, but those from cases that have very little tissue left in the
block or small malignant foci are filed with the H&E slides (and any
other stained slides of course) that go with the case. The idea is that
if in 2 years we want to restain the tumour for something new or (heaven
forbid!) a re-check, the pathologist would generally be asking to see
the original H&E's anyway; and at that time we would discover that
indeed blanks do exist on the case already.
Hope this helps (Disclaimer-I'm in Canada and none of this response
necessarily addresses either CAP or CLIA regulations).
Cheers!
Greg

Greg Dobbin, R.T.
Chief Technologist, Anatomic Pathology
Dept. of Laboratory Medicine,
Queen Elizabeth Hospital,
P.O. Box 6600
Charlottetown, PE    C1A 8T5
Phone: (902) 894-2337
Fax: (902) 894-2385

"Success is not the key to happiness.
Happiness is the key to success.
If you love what you are doing,
you will be successful."
- Albert Schweitzer

Greg Dobbin, R.T.
Chief Technologist, Anatomic Pathology
Dept. of Laboratory Medicine,
Queen Elizabeth Hospital,
P.O. Box 6600
Charlottetown, PE    C1A 8T5
Phone: (902) 894-2337
Fax: (902) 894-2385

"Success is not the key to happiness.
Happiness is the key to success.
If you love what you are doing,
you will be successful."
- Albert Schweitzer

>>> "Daniel Schneider" <dlschneider <@t> gmail.com> 9/11/2008 12:40 PM >>>
I thought I'd poll the histonet community on an issue we're facing:

On needle biopsies for tumor, what, if any, is your protocol
for making unstained slides "on the front end" for potential use with
immunostains later (so that the specimen isn't exhausted producing
levels x
3, and you have good sections of tumor for immunostains)?

Is this protocol followed on all needle biopsies for tumor?

And what happens to any unused, unstained slides?  Are they discarded
(if
so, after how long?) or kept indefinitely?

Thanks for your input!
Daniel Schneider

Statement of Confidentiality
This message (including attachments) may contain confidential or privileged information intended for a specific individual or organization. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email, and should promptly delete this email from your entire computer system.

D?claration de confidentialit?
Le pr?sent message (y compris les annexes) peut contenir des renseignements confidentiels ? l'intention d'une personne ou d'un organisme particulier. Si vous avez re?u la pr?sente communication par erreur, veuillez en informer l'exp?diteur imm?diatement. Si vous n'?tes pas le destinataire pr?vu, vous n'avez pas le droit d'utiliser, divulguer, distribuer, copier ou imprimer ce courriel ou encore de vous en servir, et vous devriez l'effacer imm?diatement de votre syst?me informatique.