[Histonet] Varistain Gemini Auto Stainer

Troutman, Kenneth A kenneth.a.troutman <@t> Vanderbilt.Edu
Tue Sep 9 13:05:17 CDT 2008

There are a few things that could be wrong:

1)  Recycled reagents (which I believe someone mentioned)
2)  If you are using the heaters on the stainer, one of them may be malfunctioning.  If you are using a hot plate, make sure all of your slides are completely dry before staining.
3)  Check the level of all reagents (to make sure the entire slide is immersed in solution.  This may not be the case since you are seeing better staining on the top of the slide.)
4)  I have also seen this where it is microtomist dependent.

I would definitely call the vendor.  My money is on the heater :), but a qualified engineer should look at it.

Good luck,

Ashley Troutman BS, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Histopathology Laboratory
Department of Pathology
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Nashville, TN
<http://www.vanderbilthealth.com/main/> <http://www.vanderbilt.edu/> <http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/> <http://www.vanderbilthealth.com/main/>
Message: 6
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 06:03:09 -0500
From: "Leblanc, Barbara Ann" <blebl2 <@t> lsuhsc.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] Varistain Gemini Auto Stainer
To: <histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu>

Hi everyone:

We have a Varistain Gemini ES autostainer.  We are having variability in
the stain quality of the slides.  Some slides are stained properly while
others are stained lighter.  This is sometimes on the same slide (top
section stained good; bottom section not good); sometimes some slides in
the rack will stain okay and others in the same rack will not.  Does
anyone have this stainer and has experienced this problem?

Thank you,
Barbara