[Histonet] RE: Histonet Digest, Vol 58, Issue 6

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 14:59:31 CDT 2008

By leaving sections in buffer or even water during prolonged periods of time you are just undoing the cross linkage with formalin, if you want to call that antigen retrieval, OK
René J.

--- On Fri, 9/5/08, Brian Chelack <brian.chelack <@t> pds.usask.ca> wrote:

From: Brian Chelack <brian.chelack <@t> pds.usask.ca>
Subject: [Histonet] RE: Histonet Digest, Vol 58, Issue 6
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Friday, September 5, 2008, 1:30 PM

I would beg to differ with Rene on this one. I don't believe antigen
retrieval is "by definition" using heat and sometimes pressure. I
would
define antigen retrieval as any process that restores the original three
dimensional structure to a molecule altered by fixation (typically formalin
fixation) such that it can be recognized by the detecting antibody.

I have performed antigen retrieval by leaving slides overnight in the
refrigerator immersed in PBS + 0.05% Tween 20. I'm sure there are many
other
ways to accomplish antigen retrieval, heat merely accelerates the process.

Brian Chelack
Special Projects Manager
Prairie Diagnostic Services Inc.
52 Campus Drive, Saskatoon, SK S7N 5B4