[Histonet] RE: [IHCRG] HIER

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Thu Oct 23 08:15:47 CDT 2008

I have used many different hier methods over the years and have special
considerations because of my altitude.  We thought that the pressure cooker
would solve all the problems relating to altitude because it is pressurized
but it did not.  There must be some boiling going on sometime because I
often got damaged tissue with the PC.  My heat source of choice now includes
either a waterbath or steamer, and I use the steamer most often because
water boils rapidly above about 92c for me, so I have to keep the waterbath
below that.  My husband drilled a hole in the lid of the steamer where I
insert a thermometer.  I use a digital cooking therm., it has a feature that
you can set to alarm when it reaches a programmed temp, I put tubs or coplin
jars with the buffers in the steamer to warm up while I deparaffinize the
slides.  I put the temp probe in the solution in the steamer and set it to
alarm at 90c.  after I put the slides in the buffer in the steamer, I set
the alarm again to go off when it again reaches 90c, (it can take up to
10-15 min. to get back to temp after adding the slides) after it reaches 90c
with the slides in there I start timing, I steam my slides for 15-20 min
after they reach 90+c., they will go up only to about 95c in my lab because
of the altitude I assume.  When they are done I take them out of the steamer
and let them cool on the counter for 20 min or so, then rinse in water and
then place in buffer before doing IHC.

Patsy

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC

IHCtech