[Histonet] Acidified Hematoxylin

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Mon Oct 20 17:02:07 CDT 2008

You might haveto make some in-house. The following is easy to make and can be used soon after preparing. Use a good control (skin, appendix) to control your times:

Debidin's Haematoxylin

This solution uses sodium hypochlorite as the oxidant in the preparation of alum haematoxylin. This reagent also has the advantage of being a bacteriostat (Debidin 1991).

Fixation:      10% buffered formalin.

Microtomy:     paraffin sections at 5µm.

Reagents:

Haematoxylin (CI 75290)	2.5g
Potassium Alum		50g
Distilled water			500ml
5.6% Sodium hypochlorite	2ml
Glacial Acetic Acid		2.5ml

Dissolve the Alum in distilled water with the aid of heat. Add the haematoxylin and mix. Cover and leave mixture at 60oC overnight. Add the sodium hypochlorite and allow to stand for one week, add acetic acid.

Debidin (1991) Histologic 11(2):232.

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA