[Histonet] gluteraldehyde and IHC

Leslie Chen lchen <@t> mednet.ucla.edu
Fri Oct 17 15:36:04 CDT 2008

Does anyone know if the gluteraldehyde would also obliterate immunoflorescence staining as well?  Does gluteraldehyde always affect IHC staining?  I have some LacZ stained embryos that have been paraffin processed and I was going to try to optimize flourescence staining on them.  Thanks.

Leslie

Message: 7
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 16:02:18 -0400
From: "Andrea Hooper" <anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] X-Gal stain of bone
To: "'Markus F. Meyenhofer'" <micro <@t> superlink.net>
Cc: Histonet <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>

Dear Markus,

We do X-Gal staining on bone and in the best scenario the animals are
perfused with glutaraldehyde (GA). PFA tends to quench the beta-gal
activity and the results may not be 100% accurate (underestimation of
positivity).  Though if you want to do IHC on these samples, I am
sure you know that the GA fix obliterates that possibility. Also it
is critical to decalcify in EDTA rather than an acid decal.

Let me know if you need more details,
Andrea

IMPORTANT WARNING: This email (and any attachments) is only intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. You, the recipient, are obligated to maintain it in a safe, secure and confidential manner. Unauthorized redisclosure or failure to maintain confidentiality may subject you to federal and state penalties. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify us by return email, and delete this message from your computer.