[Histonet] IHC antibody Expiration question for CAP

Jason and Heather themagoos <@t> rushmore.com
Fri Oct 10 09:21:49 CDT 2008

CAP question ANP.22432 states: Are all immunohistochemical reagents used within their indicated expiration dates?

I am wondering what labs across the country are doing to answer this question. IHC antibodies are very expensive and can be validated on every run that is made. Some of these concentrated antibodies are diluted out so far that only a very small portion of them are used before they expire. Are some labs still using outdated antibodies? If so how do you get away with it when you are inspected by CAP? Or are you paying the high prices to throw out the majority of your antibodies so you can answer this question yes?

I thank you in advance to your response.

Jason McGough HT(ASCP)
Account Representative - Anatomic Pathology
Clinical Laboratory of the Black Hills
2805 5th Street Suite 210
Rapid City, SD 57701
605-343-2267 Ext 127