[Histonet] Heat and autofluorescence

Merced Leiker leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
Thu Oct 9 16:03:25 CDT 2008

I just realized - these are frozen sections!  I am getting my frozens and
paraffins crossed here, sorry!  Don't heat them in that case - that would
be disaster!

Merced

--On Thursday, October 09, 2008 8:16 PM +0000 cmmathis1 <@t> bellsouth.net wrote:

> I have a researcher in my lab that transfected cells with EGFP, injected
> them into mouse and then 3 weeks later harvested the tissue and frozen it
> in OCT as usual.  After sectioning, he air dried the slides for 1 hour
> and then dried them at 60 degrees C for 1 hour.  He was hoping just to
> see his EGFP infected cells which are bright green, however, the
> autofluorescence is everywhere - both with GFP and Rhodamine filters.
> Our question is - did the heating in the oven cause increased
> autofluorescence?
>
> Cathy

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician II
354 BRB (Lee Lab) / 140 Farber Hall (mail)
School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214
Ph: (716) 829-6033
Fx: (716) 829-2725

In order to put yourself in someone else's shoes,
you must first take off yours.