[Histonet] Waste on Benchmark XT

Sebree Linda A. LSebree <@t> uwhealth.org
Wed Oct 8 11:33:35 CDT 2008

Well stated Brad.

Linda A. Sebree
University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
IHC/ISH Laboratory
DB1-223 VAH
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792
(608)265-6596

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Brad Miller
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 11:29 AM
To: rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com; Senn, Amy R; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Waste on Benchmark XT

Hi Rene. To answer your first question, I would have to echo what Rich Strauss said in his post.  If the waste is found to be acceptable according to the EPA and local code, then the cost of using a special contractor is unnecessary and is therefore creating additional operational expense that is not needed.  The scientists at the EPA and your local municipal waste treatment facilities are pretty smart and can even be downright protective about their systems.  For that reason, my humble opinion would be that to second guess their directives in the name of environmentalism would not be necessary.

If you have the money to hire a contractor to dispose of all of your used reagents, then I think that's great...but there may be a better use for that money.  I would have to warn, and I'm sure you're already aware, that the specialized contractor does not have a magic wand that is waved over the waste.  From a purely environmental standpoint, this can be somewhat wasteful in itself, if unnecessary.  I can think of 4 reasons, just off the top of my head:
  1.. These contractors tend to use very large furnaces and tremendous amounts of energy to burn much of the waste.  If everyone sent unnecessary effluent to the specialized contractor (as many people do) then think of the amounts of energy (electricity, fuel, whatever) used for no reason.  I wouldn't call this behavior outrageous or irresponsible, though...just uninformed.
  2.. Also, while precautions are taken to reduce air pollution through this type of disposal, it still happens (see below).
  3.. This is to say nothing about the occasional leaky container that winds up draining into the storm drain which does not have the same capacity to deal with waste that the sewer system does.
  4.. And finally, the untold part of this type of disposal is that these contractors can be located in any area zoned as "commercial" which means they can even be dangerously located near neighborhoods.  Does anyone remember the town of Apex in North Carolina that needed to be evacuated in 2006 because of a "chemical fire"?  That was one of these hazardous waste facilities.  You can read about it here http://www.csb.gov/index.cfm?folder=news_releases&page=news&NEWS_ID=311
To be environmentally conscious is absolutely the way to go, but to educate one's self about the cause can yield even better results!  And I would agree, Rene, that any principle that claims that bad stuff is okay because there's other bad stuff out there would not be valid or responsible. But if that's a reference to my comment about sterile processing, then I would have to say respectfully that you may have missed my point.  That point being that if the waste coming from the XT is deemed acceptable to the EPA and local code, then Amy and her facility most certainly have much larger and more valid concerns than the acceptable waste from the instrument.  Does that make sense?