[Histonet] Zinc Formalin for Bone Marrow Biopsies

Smith Wanda Wanda.Smith <@t> HCAhealthcare.com
Wed Oct 8 08:01:59 CDT 2008

Good Morning,
We have substituted Zinc Formalin for B5 for our BM bxs.  I have a few
questions I hope someone can help me with.
1.  We increased fixation time 1.5 times from the B5.  Question:  Is
there a maximum amount of time the bxs can stay in the ZF without
causing harm to the bx?  If a BM Bx stays in Zinc Formalin overnight,
will that harm the cellular morphology?
2.  Can Zinc Formalin be disposed of the same way we dispose of our 10%
NBF?  The B5 had to be picked up for special disposal due to the mercury
content.  Is there special handling for Zinc Formalin?
Thanks and have a great day!!!
Wanda

WANDA G. SMITH, HTL(ASCP)HT
Pathology Supervisor