[Histonet] Isopropyl vs Ethanol

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Oct 3 08:04:47 CDT 2008

Amos:
Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) penetrates less quickly than ethanol, but dehydrates more gently and hardens the tissues less. When the tissue ihas been dehydrated with IPA, you can mixe it in a proportion of 5:1 and 2:1 with mineral oil at 50ºC and by doing so you can ELIMINATE

--- On Fri, 10/3/08, Amos Brooks <amosbrooks <@t> gmail.com> wrote:

From: Amos Brooks <amosbrooks <@t> gmail.com>
Subject: [Histonet] Isopropyl vs Ethanol
To: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Friday, October 3, 2008, 8:31 AM

Hi,
   Is there anyone who uses exclusively isopropyl alcohol to process with
rather than ethanol? I have had great results with isopropyl alcohol for
some tissues, but I wanted to know if there are any pitfalls to using it
exclusively for processing. I've noticed that isopropyl is much cheaper
than
ethanol, so it leads me to wonder why ethanol is so prevalant for
dehydration.

Thanks,
Amos Brooks