[Histonet] as Thanksgiving approaches, what do you think about a gall bladder in vinegar ?

Weems, Joyce JWeems <@t> sjha.org
Mon Nov 24 16:40:38 CST 2008

Could you give it to her in a plastic bag, with a container, and tell
her to store it in rubbing alcohol? j

Joyce Weems
Pathology Manager
Saint Joseph's Hospital
5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
Please note new phone and fax numbers
678-843-7376 - Phone
678-843-7831 - Fax

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Della
Speranza, Vinnie
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 5:37 PM
To: histonet
Subject: [Histonet] as Thanksgiving approaches, what do you think about
a gall bladder in vinegar ?

I have a patient requesting her gall bladder be returned to her for
religious reasons.
The premise I've been given is so that, upon death, the patient may be
stored with her body parts.

My facility has concerns about providing it to her in formalin (for
obvious reasons) or alcohol. The patient admits this is a family
practice with momma's appendix already being stored in the attic.

It can get a bit toasty warm here in the South so attic storage of a
specimen in alcohol may not be prudent and I can't be absolutely certain
it wouldn't burn the house down, another potential liability for my
institution.

I'm tempted to give it to her in food grade vinegar, to avoid the
potential liabilities from using anything that could be considered
hazardous.
Assuming that returning her gall bladder is a given, what do you think
of using vinegar for this purpose?

Vinnie Della Speranza

Manager for Anatomic Pathology Services

Medical University of South Carolina

165 Ashley Avenue  Suite 309

Charleston, South Carolina 29425

Tel: (843) 792-6353

Fax: (843) 792-8974

Confidentiality Notice:
This email, including any attachments is the
property of Catholic Health East and is intended
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
It may contain information that is privileged and
confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please reply to the
sender that you have received the message in
error, then delete this message.