[Histonet] Osteoid identifiction

Shakun Aswani Shakun.Aswani <@t> acologix.com
Fri Nov 21 11:22:12 CST 2008

Hi Louise,
Yes, you are right best way to quantify the osteoid is plastic embedding
(MMA) but recently I saw a paper in "Stain Technology" the title is
"Silver Staining of bone prior to decalcification for quantitative
determination of osteoid in sections" by E.J. Tripp and E.H. MaoKay,
dept of pathology, Frenchay hospital, Bristol, England.
Try that paper
If you don't have excess to the paper please do let me know I will send
you my copy.
Good Luck!
Shakun

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of louise
renton
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 11:48 PM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Osteoid identifiction

Hi al, I have received a sample of ?bone where the clinician wants to
identfy osteoid. According to my knowledge (now perhaps a little daed)
the
traditional processing method is plastic embedding of some sort. Is this
still the case or are there methods to use standars paraffin processing?

Best regards--

Louise Renton
Bone Research Unit
University of the Witwatersrand
Johannesburg
South Africa
"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls".
George Carlin