[Histonet] Fatty tissue

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Wed Nov 5 16:42:41 CST 2008

I would suggest microwaving the tissue blocks in formalin for at least 1
hour (longer is better) up to a temperature of 45oC (you might even
consider a higher temp maybe up to 55oC??)

We use this with our placenta blocks and the results were dramatically
improved (35% poorly processed to less than 1% after microwaving).

We have a Mega TT Microwave oven

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Webb,
Dorothy L
Sent: Thursday, 6 November 2008 7:22 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Fatty tissue

I would like to know how other labs are processing "fatty" tissue,
especially breast for optimal processing?  We have been doing a few
"reprocessing" of these specimens and my pathologist feels this should
not be happening!  Yes, the PA's are, at times, cutting the sections
larger than 3 mm thick, but, at times the tumor is ingrained in the
fatty area and they need to obtain as much of the perimeter as they can.
Does anyone agitate or heat fixate their specimens prior to processing?
Would appreciate any feedback on this age old dilemma. Also, I only
heard back from one person on the recycling issue.  Any input would be
appreciated as to savings incurred and a still vs. recycler.
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the individual
responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, please
be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use,
dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is
strictly prohibited.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the
HealthPartners Support Center by telephone at (952) 967-6600. You will
be reimbursed for reasonable costs incurred in notifying us.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Children's Hospital at Westmead

This note also confirms that this email message has been
virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The Childrens Hospital at Westmead accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.