[Histonet] ASCP HT maintenance fees

Della Speranza, Vinnie dellav <@t> musc.edu
Mon Nov 3 15:59:17 CST 2008

I want to make you aware that JCAHO requires accredited facilities to undertake "primary source verification" for anyone claiming to have professional credentials. If I wanted to hire an applicant claiming to have histology certification it is my responsibility as manager to verify with ASCP that the individual does in fact have the certification. If you allowed your certification to lapse, it would become apparent when I contacted them about you and it would end any hope you had of obtaining a position with us.

Only you can decide if the costs to maintain your certification are worth it but I thought you should be aware of the process that is followed to verify credentials. I agree with Tom that indicating that you allowed your certification to lapse would reflect negatively and likely sabotage hopes of employment, at least in some environments

Vinnie Della Speranza
Manager for Anatomic Pathology Services
Medical University of South Carolina
165 Ashley Avenue  Suite 309
Charleston, South Carolina 29425
Tel: (843) 792-6353
Fax: (843) 792-8974

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Podawiltz, Thomas
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 3:07 PM
To: Kimberly Tuttle; R C; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] ASCP HT maintenance fees

If you were certified in 2004 or after you need to turn in 36 credit hours of continuing education in order to maintain your certification. You do not need to be a member of ASCP to be certified, however you do get some free CE hours with your membership. My certification was in 85, so yes, I am one of the old farts that is exempt. However, I have stayed current with my education. even in the years that I did not practice Histology.

As a supervisor, I would not look at a resume that had an expired certification. Right or wrong I would assume that, the applicant did not take this field seriously enough by letting their certification lapse.

Tom Podawiltz, HT (ASCP)
Histology Section Head/Laboratory Safety Officer
LRGHealthcare
603-524-3211 ext: 3220