[Histonet] Microtome calibration

anhtx <@t> drreddys.com anhtx <@t> drreddys.com
Sat Nov 1 03:43:46 CDT 2008

Dear Pamela/Rene/Frauke

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. As you are rightly
saying , this is happening where an auditor is not aware of histological
procedures.They just think of calibration/validation of any instrument
which is part of GLP activities.
We did ask them to tell us how to calibrate the microtome, They talk about
block movement, measuring the block thickness with vernier caliperse (!??),
one auditor even suggested to use fruits or rubber like material to measure
the thickness of section cut.
I think educating them is a better option than actually doing this useless
exercise.

We do have a quality check before the slides reach Pathologist for review.
But these guys are not convinced.

Thanks once again
Regards
Girish

----- Forwarded by ANHTX DR/DR/DRL/IN on 01/11/2008 02:00 PM -----

                   "Pamela
                   Marcum"
                   <pmarcum <@t> ve                                          To
                   t.upenn.edu         <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com>, "'Dr. med.
                   >                   Frauke Neff'"
                   Sent by:            <nefff <@t> staff.uni-marburg.de>
                   histonet-bo                                          cc
                   unces <@t> lists         histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
                   .utsouthwes                                     Subject
                   tern.edu            RE: [Histonet] Microtome
                                       calibration

                   31/10/2008
                   07:50 PM

We have a GLP person who is not familiar with Histology at all.  We have
had
to educate her about these issues and may other things.  Calibration
finally
came down to having a PM on the units every year.  After she understood all
the things we do with a section during the cutting phase and pick up that
would alter a true measurement.

We also do MMA sections on the microtome and even those are next to
impossible to measure due to some stretching of the section during pick up
and drying.  Oh Yes, the drying of the slides really put her in a tail spin
as this was just not allowing the sections to stay the same as when they
were picked up.

Sometimes a long talk and demonstration is the only way to make the point
that we are not standardized like clinical chemistry etc.

Pamela A Marcum
University of Pennsylvania
School of Veterinary Medicine
Comparative Orthopedic Laboratory (CORL)
382 W Street Rd
Kennett Square PA 19438
610-925-6278