[Histonet] flattening glycol methacrylate sections

Michelle McDonald MichelM9 <@t> chw.edu.au
Wed May 28 17:58:23 CDT 2008

For methyl methacrylate (MMA) sections we use 70% ethanol to lubricate a
tungsten carbide blade and then slide the sections onto 70% ethanol
dipped slides and sit them covered in 70% ethanol until ready to spread.

Then we vertically dip the sections on the slides in an mixture of
ethanol and ethylene glycol monoethyl ether warmed to 55 degrees C a few
times to drag the wrinkles out and firmly place a piece of plastic on to
the section to push out remaining wrinkles. We place 8 to 10 slides
together with filter paper between and bulldog clip them together to
apply pressure over night as they are baked at 50 degrees to adhere
them.

If you have a nice sharp blade and well processed blocks this should
produce pretty flat sections. Although MMA sections are rarely as good
as paraffin.

If anyone would like I can email you our protocols directly for this if
it helps

Michelle

Dr Michelle McDonald B.MedSci, PhD

Research Officer