[Histonet] Shelf Life, Part II

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed May 28 16:12:56 CDT 2008

If you use the staining solution it will start to weaken by the distilled water you always carry with the slides that are going to be stained, so if you keep using it the solution will end weaker and with less staining "power".
  When they were only few slides I solved this problem by staining the slides on a rack and pouring the staining solution with a pipet over them. In that way the staining solution was used only once, and was not diluted (=weaken).
  Either staining solutions or solutions of any substance will not weaken if the slides arte not placed in them.
  René J.

"Breeden, Sara" <sbreeden <@t> nmda.nmsu.edu> wrote:
  Way in the back of my gray matter (brain, not hair...) comes a little
memory: "stains can be reused, solutions not". I take/took this to mean
that stains like carbol fuchsin could be reused (after filtering) but
that a 1% acetic acid could not. How confused am I (need I ask?)?

Sally Breeden, HT(ASCP)

NM Dept. of Agriculture

Veterinary Diagnostic Services

PO Box 4700