[Histonet] flattening glycol methacrylate sections

Gayle Callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Wed May 28 14:08:18 CDT 2008

We never used warm water baths since the fumes from glycol methacrylate are
toxic, plus one can become very sensitized to this plastic.

We used a cold water bath, a large square glass staining dish either 20 or
30 slide capacity size, lifted the section from the glass knife edge with a
sharp forceps,  and dropped it onto RT water.  It takes a bit of skill to do
this and if helped to have a magnifier lamp during sectioning.  When we used
ammonia  drops in the water, our sections took a dive to bottom of staining
dish (square), probably more of a technic issue.   You can still try the
ammonia hydroxide drops though.

Using a very sharp, new edge was mandatory with glass knives to get a flat
section to begin with.  If your knife is not delightfully sharp, this will
contribute to sections not being flat.  Tungsten carbide knives need to be
kept very sharp also.

We changed the glass knife every time we cut a new block, but did use the
old knife to trim before sectioning with the new glass knife.

Gayle M. Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)
Bozeman MT