[Histonet] Formalin alternative fixative for rodent andlarge animal

Yaskovich, Ruth A (NIH/NIDCR) [E] ryaskovich <@t> dir.nidcr.nih.gov
Wed May 28 10:55:51 CDT 2008

I have been getting my best results with 4% BUFFERED PFA. The animals
are perfused. I'm doing CNS tissues with beautiful IHC.
Ruth Yaskovich
N.I.H.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pamela Marcum [mailto:pmarcum <@t> vet.upenn.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 11:49 AM
To: Jackie M O'Connor; stephanie.d.rivera <@t> gsk.com
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu;
histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Formalin alternative fixative for rodent
andlarge animal

I agree with Jackie and remember most antibodies are worked out for
use with formalin not a substitute.  You will need to re-validate and
test every primary and secondary antibody as well as  kits you have
used to be sure you are getting the same results with the new
fixative.  You will need to run parallel tissues and times for
processing to confirm the change works for specimens in you
laboratory.  Until the antibody and kit or secondary suppliers begin
to use a formalin replacement most testing for routine use and
research is on you not the company.  Be careful to cover all your
bases for the best results in tissue staining for both routine and IHC.

Pam Marcum

At 11:32 AM 5/28/2008, Jackie M O'Connor wrote:
>In my opinion, for pharma research, there is no worthwhile formalin
>substitute that will give consistent IHC results.   I have tried STF
>(which was discontinued) and other subs - finally went back to
formalin.
>With STF, the morphology of routine H+E's was horrible.    I'm sure
there
>are differing opinions out there - after all, this is histonet.
>
>Jackie O'
>

>stephanie.d.rivera <@t> gsk.com
>Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
>05/28/2008 10:12 AM

>histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
>cc
>
>Subject
>[Histonet] Formalin alternative fixative for rodent and large animal
>

>Hello histoworld,
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions for altenative fixative to formalin? I
>still need to maintain quality of IHC and H&E stain and morphology.
I've
>come across Prefer and Notoxhisto. Are there any others for animal
tissue
>that anyone have tried?
>

>Stephanie D. Rivera
>Safety Assessment Department