[Histonet] Rate of formalin penetration in human brain sections

Bryan Hewlett bhewlett <@t> cogeco.ca
Wed May 28 09:29:38 CDT 2008

Karen,

The formaldehyde fixation rate of tissue is determined from a combination of
the penetration rate, which is governed by diffusibilty,
the maximal covalent formaldehyde binding time, which is governed by the
formaldehyde 'clock' reaction, and the slow subsequent cross-linking which
then occurs,
This slow cross-linking is thought to be almost complete by 7 days post
formaldehyde binding time, but can continue over longer time periods.

What your investigator has found, is probably the published data related to
the maximal covalent formaldehyde binding time, i.e. 24 hours at room
temperature
as determined by Fox et al (reference #1). This study was essentially
independent of diffusibilty, i.e. negligible penetration time, since 16
micrometer thick sections of rat kidney were the substrate.
However, this study does not take into account subsequent further
cross-linking.

A study by Helander (reference #2) determined the maximal covalent
formaldehyde binding time as 25 hours.
This was performed on 4 mm thick slices of rabbit liver, so diffusibility
has to be taken into account.
In addition, this study also partially looked at subsequent further
cross-linking in relationship to reversibility.
A later study by Helander (reference #3) compared the maximal covalent
formaldehyde binding time between kidney and brain tissues.
This was stated to be 50 hours however, the tissues thickness was increased
to 8 mm and so the diffusibilty effect has to be taken into account even
more.

Reference #1.
Fox CH., et.al. Formaldehyde fixation. J Histochem. Cytochem. 1985; 33,
845 -853

Reference #2

Helander, KG. Kinetic studies of formaldehyde binding in tissue.
Biotechnique and Histochemistry. 1994; 69, 177 -179

Reference #3

Helander, K.G. Formaldehyde binding in Brain and Kidney: A kinetic study of
fixation.

The Journal of Histotechnology. 1999; 22(4), 317-318.

Regards,

Bryan