[Histonet] 4F1G (4% Formaldehyde & 1% Glutaraldehyde in 0.1 M PB, pH 7.4) fixative and immuno

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri May 23 09:27:11 CDT 2008

Generally speaking you cannot get a good preservation/fixation for TEM if the block is also processed for paraffin infiltration.
  The reason being the thickness/size of the slice of tissue that HAS to be of 1-2 cubic mm to assure a good preservation for TEM.
  Other than that you just will probably have to make a stronger HIER before the IHC.
  I would treat one slice of tissue for FFPE and another for TEM.
  René J.

michelle.schwab-macdonald <@t> novartis.com wrote:
  I am looking for anyone who might have experience with 4F1G (4%
Formaldehyde &1% Gluteraldehyde in 0.1M PBS, pH 7.4) and
immunohistochemistry staining. We are interested in fixing tissue in this
and then making both EM and paraffin blocks from the same sample. I was
interested in getting opinions on how different immuno markers, normally
run on FFPE tissue, might be affected by this fixation change. I realize
that it is probably marker dependent and that fixation is a huge factor in
immuno, but I was just interested in some opinions or any markers that you
might have tried this fixative with that will work.

Thanks in Advance!! :-)

Michelle Schwab-MacDonald HT(ASCP)
Novartis, Boston, MA