[Histonet] Digital microscope camera

Robert Chiovetti rchiovetti <@t> yahoo.com
Wed May 21 11:01:49 CDT 2008

Nadia,

There are a couple of manufacturers that make adapters for the more popular "point-and-shoot" digital cameras.  With the proper adapter you can remove an eyepiece, insert the adapter (with camera attached) into the eyepiece tube and take pretty decent quality digital photos.

It helps a lot if your digital camera can be set to "infinity focus" (usually an icon with mountains) and if you can set the camera's exposure control to "aperture priority" or "shutter priority."  The exact terminology might be different, depending on what kind of camera you have.  You can use the camera's "zoom" settings to convert the circular field of view in the scope to a rectangular image for the camera.

The adapters cost about as much as (or a little more than) a decent digital camera, but it's still less expensive than a dedicated microscope camera.

I've had very good luck with the adapters made by Bobby Martin at Martin Microscope.  Take a look at: www.martinmicroscope.com.

Disclaimer: I have no personal or financial ties to Martin Microscope.  I just sell their stuff on occasion.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Bob Chiovetti

 Robert (Bob) Chiovetti, Ph.D.
Southwest Precision Instruments
See What's New on Our Website!
Arizona's Microscopy Resource
132 North Elster Drive
Tucson, AZ 85710-3212
Tel./Fax 520-546-4986
Member, Arizona Small Business Association
(www.asba.com)