[Histonet] one heck of a IHC question regarding fixed free-floating brain sections

Linke_Noelle Linke_Noelle <@t> Allergan.com
Mon May 19 18:13:22 CDT 2008

Hi Maria,

I say go back with the right antibody(don't use a goat Ab.... use rabbit or mouse), followed by anti-whatever(rabbit or mouse), and you'll need to use a Alk-phos detection and chromogen so you don't light up any of the HRP labeled stuff.

Or....if you know they will be negative, I would think that doing the DAB development would simply bind up the HRP sites (if any are there), then you could start your staining all over....

Noelle

Noëlle Linke, MS, HTL(ASCP)QIHC
Allergan, Inc
2525 Dupont Drive RD-2A
Irvine, CA 92612
714-246-5568

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Mejia, Maria
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 3:52 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Cc: c.m.vanderloos <@t> amc.uva.nl
Subject: [Histonet] one heck of a IHC question regarding fixed free-floating brain sections

Dear All,

I have one heck of a question for everyone & especially those who work with fixed 40um
free-floating brain sections. A number of our very precious brain sections were mistakenly
stained with the (wrong) primary (anti-human NTN) antibody.

Now, we KNOW that there is NO NTN (which influences a variety of neuronal populations in
the brain) in these sections. All sections (except 1) have NOT gone through the DAB
development.

So, we need to know [if] & [how] we can restain these sections with the correct primary
antibod Here the protocol using the wrong primary antibody - please read carefully.

-wash sections in PBS x3 - 5 mins ea.
-block in 1% H202/PBS - 20 mins
-wash sections in PBS x3 - 5 mins
-block in casein biocare sniper - 30 mins
-incubate in anti-goat primary NTN 1:4000 antibody in diluent - stained overnight.
Next Day:
-wash in PBS x3 - 5 mins ea.
-incubate in Biocare Medical Goat probe - 1 hr.
-wash in PBS x3 - 5 mins ea.
-incubate in Biocare Medical Goat HRP - 1 hr.
-wash x3 PBS - 5 mins ea.
-develop ONLY ONE SECTION in Vector DAB - here's when we caught our mistake.
Since we only developed 1 section in DAB - the other sections are still sitting in PBS @ 4C &
have NOT gone through the DAB development.

My question is can we & how - do we re-stain these undeveloped (no DAB) sections using the
correct primary antibody either polyclonal or monoclonal using either the same
goat probe & goat HRP or another polymer combination. Then develop the resulting end
with DAB??????? If we can how do we do it????????

Please any insightful suggestions & tips will be greatly helpful to us. Please Dr. Loos let me hear
from you!!!

Regards

Maria Mejia
Histology Manager