[Histonet] Lot numbers. .

Henry, Charlene Charlene.Henry <@t> STJUDE.ORG
Wed May 7 14:53:42 CDT 2008

We had put the tracking of lot numbers and expiration dates of reagents (alcohol, xylene, methanol, formalin etc) into place just before our last CAP inspection and I'm glad we did because we would have been sited with a deficiency. I don't think that it is on the AP Checklist but it is on the General Checklist. The inspector asking me about the reagent lot numbers and expiration dates was a chemistry person and I tried to explain to her that the volume of reagents that a Histology Lab goes through in comparison with a Chemistry Lab is quite different. I told her that a Histology Lab would go through more reagents than the rest of all the clinical labs put together.

I would think it would be impossible to track the lot number of recycled alcohols.

We don't track the lot numbers of water because we have a Millipore system. We do track the lot number of formalin as it comes in and is put into use; however we do not track which lot number of formalin is used on individual cases.

My experience with the compound coming off chucks during frozen sections has been when the chuck is too cold so we do not store our chucks in the cryostat but keep them at room temperature. It really does not add that much time when freezing tissue.

Charlene Henry HT (ASCP), QIHC
Anatomic Pathology Section Head
Department of Pathology
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
901-495-3191
fax 901-495-3100

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Webb, Dorothy L
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 12:56 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Lot numbers. .

Does everyone keep track of each reagent lot number, including, water, formalin, alcohols, etc. as it is opened and used?  What about recycled products?  I am trying to come up with a logsheet and would appreciate any help in this area!

Also, we have recently run into problems with our freezing compound coming off of the chucks during frozen sectioning.  Any suggestions and/or what is the method of freezing tissue that everyone uses for their cryostat sections?  Thanks fellow histotechs for helping me with these matters that I am coming up empty on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dorothy Webb, HT (ASCP)
Histology Technical Supervisor
Regions Hospital, Pathology Department
640 Jackson Street, Saint Paul, MN 55101-2595
Phone: 651-254-2962
Fax: 651-254-2741
Regions Hospital is part of the HealthPartners family of care ________________________________________
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the individual responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the HealthPartners Support Center by telephone at (952) 967-6600. You will be reimbursed for reasonable costs incurred in notifying us.