[Histonet] Hematoxylin Shortage??

Ingles Claire CIngles <@t> uwhealth.org
Mon Mar 31 13:56:19 CDT 2008

I don't know... We still make our heme from powder, mostly because no-one makes a commercial double strength Carazzis that we know of. But it isn't a big deal for us. Granted we use oxidizing agents so the solution is ready immediately (pending pH).But it doesn't seem to overoxidize so that staining is lost. I'm sure if we left it out, it would. But we use the fresh stuff up quicker than the formula oxidizes. We only really make up a liter bottle at a time, and only when the current bottle is almost empty. We filter in the morning before placing on the stainer. I agree with the assessment of the lack of practical for the certification exams. There are plenty of book smart people who can memorize, but are totally useless in day to day work as they don't know what the stains are really supposed to look like, and don't seem to be able to troubleshoot very well. I feel it's like getting one's driver' license without taking the road test (without as much immediate danger to life and limb).
Claire

________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Rittman, Barry R
Sent: Sun 3/30/2008 7:53 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Hematoxylin Shortage??

I also think that home made hematoxylin such as Ehrlich's is superior in it's staining.
I have heard some criticism of controlling the oxidation so that the hematoxylin does not overoxidise. We used to have several bottles and when one had reached its "peak" then transfer to a large separating funnel with a layer of paraffin oil on the surface. This prevented further oxidation and could just dispense amount needed from the stopcock at the base.
I was trained in the UK where cost was always a factor and labor used to be cheaper.
Here in the States it seems as if almost everyone relies on made up solutions. This has two problems. One is that individuals may (and I repeat may) not realize why there are certain components in solutions and  not as readily appreciate the basis of the staining and therefore able to correct problems when they arise.
I believe that the decision to eliminate the practical portion of the HT exam pushes us further in that direction.
When my granddaughter (who is almost 4) is able to prepare a meal for us on her own she will have received a lot of instruction in preparing dishes from scratch.
Barry