[Histonet] Hematoxylin Shortage??

Carl Hobbs carl.hobbs <@t> kcl.ac.uk
Sat Mar 29 13:23:56 CDT 2008

Lol....I remember that time of Hx shortage, Gayle.
Scrambling around for alternatives, the papers published about
alternatives.....
Why didn't the alternatives replace Hx?

NB: Yes, we heard and believed  that great story of the boat carrying them
logs sinking at sea.....sadly, apocryphal.
Excessive forest clearance, I recall, was responsible?
Well, just checked on Wikipedia and that's the "story" they tell.....
Then read Mark Ray's post. Ah, a Hx processing plant in Campeche, Mexico!
Hence Haematoxylon Campechianum...... ;-)
A timely post for me as I am currently looking to revert to homemade Hx
solns.( I work in a Research Centre with no Accreditation issues to worry
about.)
A fascinating article here, on log/brazilwoods:
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph4.htm
Carl