Fwd: Re: [Histonet] Surgipath Hemotoxilyn stain setup

Greg Dobbin gvdobbin <@t> ihis.org
Wed Mar 26 12:28:17 CDT 2008

Greg Dobbin, R.T.
Chief Technologist, Histology Lab
Dept. of Laboratory Medicine,
Queen Elizabeth Hospital,
P.O. Box 6600
Charlottetown, PE    C1A 8T5
Phone: (902) 894-2337
Fax: (902) 894-2385

There is some merit in doing the right thing rather badly,
but absolutely none in doing the wrong thing excellently!

>>> Greg Dobbin 3/26/2008 1:45 PM >>>
Hi Rebecca,
I am using the Selectech Reagents (all of them) on our Leica
Autostainer.  I am using Eosin Y though, not the trichrome.  I'm not
sure why Define would remove the margin ink for Matt's slides? It is
only 70% alcohol with a capful of the Define reagent. I have not heard
any complaints from my docs.

I think they are about the same cost as we were spending previously
only now we don't need to filter the reagents every day- so time saved.
If you are interested I have created a set of slide counting worksheets
that tells the techs when to to change the Eosin, Haematoxylin and the
alcohols and xylenes (this is for the Leica Autostainer of course).  You
start out with brand new H & E reagents and then because they are
changed at different numbers of slides (2500 for H and 1500 for E), I
have a set of 7 or 8 pages of slide counts and changes until both need
to be changed simultaneously again -then print off another set. (It will
make more sense if you see them).
Cheers.
Greg

Greg Dobbin, R.T.
Chief Technologist, Histology Lab
Dept. of Laboratory Medicine,
Queen Elizabeth Hospital,
P.O. Box 6600
Charlottetown, PE    C1A 8T5
Phone: (902) 894-2337
Fax: (902) 894-2385

There is some merit in doing the right thing rather badly,
but absolutely none in doing the wrong thing excellently!

>>> "Rebecca Johnson" <raj <@t> bluemarble.net> 3/26/2008 12:24 PM >>>
Is anyone out there, that has tried Surgipath new stain setup?  Which
is
their hemo, esoin,bluing and clarifier?  We are now using Richard
Allen.
They say the hemo is crisper, and you get the 3 colors with the esoin.
Also
is suppose to be cheaper to use. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks Becky