[Histonet] Re: Inspectors/ CAP JCAHO CLIA

Jan.Minshew <@t> leica-microsystems.com Jan.Minshew <@t> leica-microsystems.com
Fri Mar 21 10:29:50 CDT 2008

Hello,

I've been following this thread for a few days and I thought I would inject
a bit of information from an instrument perspective.  Room temperature and
humidity can be extremely important factors when operating and maintaining
equipment, especially if the equipment is used at temperatures that are
higher or lower than typical air conditioned room temperatures  (remember
that many laboratories in other countries and a few in the U.S. don't enjoy
the luxury of air conditioning).  Most instruments have electronic
components, lubricants and other materials that have temperature and/or
humidity tolerances.  And, if you have ever used a refrigerated instrument
like a cryostat or low temperature freezer in a high humidity area, you
will know how quickly they develop frost, which might necessitate more
frequent or lengthy defrost cycles.  These environmental operating
considerations are very important in order to keep instrumentation
operating correctly throughout its expected life cycle.

I understand your frustration with all of the regulatory agencies that
demand your compliance (and I'm not defending them).  I'm just trying to
help with the possible logic behind this particular requirement.

Best wishes,

Jan Minshew, HT/HTL(ASCP)
Marketing Manager
Leica Microsystems
Biosystems Division
2345 Waukegan Road
Bannockburn, IL 60015

800.248.0123 Toll Free
847.405.7051 Direct
847.405.6560 Fax

www.leica-microsystems.com

Click Here for this month's special offers!

             "Mickie Johnson"
             <mickie25 <@t> netzero
             .net>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  "'Elizabeth M Heimrich'"
             histonet-bounces@         <elizabeth.heimrich <@t> bms.com>,
             lists.utsouthwest         "'Undisclosed-recipients:'"
             ern.edu                                                    cc
                                       histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
                                                                   Subject
             03/21/2008 08:24          RE: [Histonet] Re: Inspectors/ CAP
             AM                        JCAHO CLIA

             Please respond to
             mickie25 <@t> netzero.
                    net

I agree! What has room humidity got to do with anything in histology
including Mohs. It might affect peoples sensibilities when the inspector
arrives and hassles them about humidity!

I remember a CAP inspector berate our microbiology supervisor at a
summation
meeting because he found one temperature log with a missing day out of a
whole year! We all knew our microbiology department was one of the best in
the state. The state had recently designated them as the primary TB testing
lab for the whole state!

Too bad there is not some review of requirements for thing like
certification of timers.

Thanks for listening to my 2 cents worth!

Best Regards,

Mickie

Mickie Johnson, B.S., HTL(ASCP)
Mohs Histology Consulting Services, LLC