[Histonet] Kidney Bx question

histoinfo <@t> comcast.net histoinfo <@t> comcast.net
Wed Mar 19 12:14:18 CDT 2008

We have been having some trouble with the inner surface of the tubules looking torn look to the tissue. We hand process all our kidney bx's with the times as follows.

1-formalin 15 minutes
2-50% ethanol 15 minutes
3-70% ethanol 15 minutes
4-80% ethanol 15 minutes
5-95% ethanol 15 minutes
6-100% ethanol 15 minutes
7-100% ethanol 15 minutes
9-xylene 15 minutes
10-xylene 15 minutes
Parraffin x2, 20 minutes each.
They are then cut at 1 micron for PAS & JONES  and 2 microns for H&E & TRICHROME.

We are trying to determine if this tearing is an artifact from processing, collection or some other factor we haven't thought of. Has anyone else come across this or a similar problem. All thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Jennifer Saunders HT (ASCP)