[Histonet] Processing fatty breast tissue and fatty derm tissue

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 10:55:42 CST 2008

The water contents of fatty tissue is lower than that of other tissues, so dehydration should not be the issue, but you need to increase the time in the clearing (antemedium). I always used a station between the last alcohol and the first clearing station made up of 1:1 amounts of alcohol and clearing agent. And yes, you can run them together.
  My question is why you fix the tissue with both penfix and formaline? You should use only one of them.
  René J.

Sharon Campbell <SharonC <@t> CarolinasPathology.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,

We are trying to improve on our processing of fat. We are currently
using pen-fix fixation on our breast tissue. When we put it on the
processor we are putting it through a formalin station and a pen-fix
station. This works well most of the time. We may at times run large
fatty derm tissues through along with the breasts. Is there a good way
to process both at the same time?

Sharon Campbell, HTL(ASCP)CM, BSBM

Histology Supervisor

Pathology Associates Services