[Histonet] RNAses on glass slides

Connolly, Brett M brett_connolly <@t> merck.com
Thu Jun 19 08:16:52 CDT 2008

Teri,
You should either treat the slides with DEPC or you can bake them at
250C for 24 hrs to destroy RNases.

Brett M. Connolly, Ph.D.
Research Fellow, Imaging Research
Merck & Co., Inc.
PO Box 4, WP-44K
West Point, PA 19486
PH 215-652-2501 fax. 215-993-6803
e-mail. brett_connolly <@t> merck.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Johnson,
Teri
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:25 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] RNAses on glass slides

Dearest colleagues,

Again I need some information that can be exceedingly difficult to find
in the literature. There is a question here as to whether slides used
for ISH (in our case, plus/charged slides) need to be treated with DEPC
or other RNAse inhibitor prior to using to mount tissue sections for
subsquent mRNA ISH. We have never done this and the practice is now
coming into question as a possible mechanism for giving inconsistent
results with a researcher's project.

Our current practice includes new blade, new box of slides, use gloves,
wipe down the microtome and all utensils with RNAse Away, clean out
waterbath glass and use DEPC water in waterbath. Up until now, it seems
to have been adquate.

Thank for any help you can give me.

Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Managing Director Histology Facility
Stowers Institute for Medical Research
1000 E. 50th St.
Kansas City, MO 64110

New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known
outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or
MSD and in Japan, as Banyu - direct contact information for affiliates is
available at http://www.merck.com/contact/contacts.html) that may be
confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this
message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and
then delete it from your system.