[Histonet] Slide labeling

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Wed Jun 18 05:44:32 CDT 2008

I believe this two identifier mess came about on the clinical side where CAP
and JCAHO instituted this requirement for blood specimens. With HIPAA
regulations, one has to wonder if the right hand knows what the left hand is
doing. Just my thoughts.

JTT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bartlett, Jeanine (CDC/CCID/NCZVED)" <jqb7 <@t> cdc.gov>
To: "Pardue, Judith" <judith_pardue <@t> memorial.org>;
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:32 AM
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Slide labeling

I found this at CAP.......

ANP.21100             Phase II N/A   YES   NO

Are blocks identified adequately?

NOTE:  Each block of tissue must be identified by the entire accession
number assigned to the case and by any descriptive letter(s)/number(s)
added by the prosector during the dissection.  If additional blocks are
prepared later, all lists and logs must reflect these additions.
Identification number and letter(s)/numbers(s) must be affixed to all
blocks in a manner that remains legible.

COMMENTARY:

N/A

**REVISED** 12/12/2006

ANP.21150             Phase II N/A   YES   NO

Are slides identified permanently with adequate, legible information?

NOTE:  Each slide must be identified by the entire accession number and
descriptive letters unique to the block from which it is cut.  Other
appropriate identifiers should be included as applicable (e.g., levels
of sectioning).  Automated prelabeling systems are acceptable.
Regardless of whether the identifying information is on the slide or on
a label, the information must be indelible, legible and able to
withstand all stages of processing and conditions of storage.

The laboratory director is responsible for ensuring that slides are
adequately, permanently identified.

COMMENTARY:

N/A

REFERENCE: O'Briain DS, et al. Sorting out mix-ups. The provenance of
tissue sections may be confirmed by PCR using microsatellite markers. Am
J Clin Pathol. 1996;106:758-764.

Jeanine Bartlett
Infectious Diseases Pathology Branch
(404) 639-3590