[Histonet] Processor Cleaning

Joyce Cline jcline <@t> wchsys.org
Fri Jun 13 11:38:36 CDT 2008

We change our two formalins after two days of use, we change our purge after
three days of use. On Monday our 80% is changed, our 95%, 100% and our
substitute: 1st one is changed and the other rotated up. We process about
150 to 200 blocks per day.
-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Bauer, Karen
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 1:12 PM
To: Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] Processor Cleaning

Hello to all...

We are having some mixed feelings about how often our processor should be
cleaned and I'm curious to know what everyone else is doing.  I'm sure this
has been brought up on Histonet before, but I can't seem to find any
pertinent findings in the archives.

We are a smaller lab and process, on average, 150 blocks every night.  We
have 2 VIP processors (older ones) and one is only used as a back up or if
we need to do an extended run on fatty or late cases.

The main VIP is cleaned twice a week, on Mondays and Thursdays.  The back up
VIP is cleaned once a week, unless we hardly used it.  By cleaned, I mean
dump the first solution and rotate.

Half of the staff believes that cleaning once a week would be OK, the other
half wants to keep it the way it is.  I've been here for 18 years and we
have always cleaned it twice a week.  (18 years ago, we had about one third
of the specimens we do today.)

Just wondering...

Thanks!

Karen Bauer

Karen L. Bauer HT(ASCP)
Department of Pathology
Histology Supervisor
Luther Hospital
Eau Claire, WI

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to
whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged,
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this email message,
including any attachment, is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please advise the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of
the original message. Thank you.