What is Mohs RE: [Histonet] Mohs tech??

Matt Bancroft mohs76009 <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 10:36:13 CDT 2008

Cheryl,
&nbsp;
What you said below is correct, except not all mohs surgens process the for permant sections.&nbsp; The only time we do it at our facility is if there is a possiable perineural invasion or lymphovascular invasion, or if it is a melanoma and we do what we call slow mohs.
&nbsp;

--- On Wed, 6/11/08, Cheryl &lt;tkngflght <@t> yahoo.com&gt; wrote:

From: Cheryl &lt;tkngflght <@t> yahoo.com&gt;
Subject: What is Mohs RE: [Histonet] Mohs tech??
To: "'Amber McKenzie'" &lt;amber.mckenzie <@t> gastrodocs.net&gt;, "'Histonet'" &lt;histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu&gt;
Date: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 10:02 AM

Hi Amber-

Mohs is the name of the fellow who pioneered this process.  It is basically
a skin excisional biopsy with frozens done on the margins to allow the
smallest possible tissue removed with clear margins during the initial
surgery. There is a color coding system to mark the margins and there are a
few other changes in orientation to get the best view of the full margin.

The bill codes are only to be used by the doc who is both performing the
surgery and reading the slides so it's generally limited to
Dermatopathologist practices.  Once the excision is done and the margins are
cleared on frozen, all the tissue is processed for permanent section.
Sometimes the patient is reconstructed right there, other times this part of
the process is done by a plastic surgeon.  Mohs is usually done on face,
head and next skin lesions as they are the most potentially disfiguring
places for skin cancers.

There are classes for teaching a tech Mohs procedures and if you have a
patient Derm doc, they can instruct the orientation, as well.  Either way it
can be a lot of frozen sections but the pay is commensurate with the
pressure of doing frozens with a patient on the table waiting for your
results.

Hope that helps!

Cheryl