[Histonet] mouse heart chatter upon sectioning...

Laurie Reilly laurie.reilly <@t> jcu.edu.au
Wed Jun 4 19:46:51 CDT 2008

Dina,

Rodent tissues are notorious for becoming brittle, even with the gentlest
processing.

Try rehydrating the tissues a little in the paraffin block.
After you trim the face of the paraffin block, float it face down on your
waterbath for 30 seconds.
Dry the face of the block, put it back on ice to cool, and then try
sectioning. You should be able to get 5 or 6 good sections before it starts
to shatter again.

This is a fact of Histo life that I have lived with for 30 years and I would
love to hear a scientific reason why some tissues, particularly from
rodents, small birds and reptiles give this trouble.

Can anyone help with an explanation?

Regards,   Laurie.

Mr. Laurie REILLY
Histopathology
School of  Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences
James Cook University
Townsville  Qld.  4811
Australia.

Phone 07 4781 4468