[Histonet] mouse heart chatter upon sectioning...

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Wed Jun 4 19:40:41 CDT 2008

Ice crystals can form at"4oC" - Fridge temperatures will vary, often colder than the stated temp, often warmer.
I did not suggest that ice crystal formation would cause shatter but it will effect morphology (see
Henwood, A., (2005) "Effect of Slide Drying at 80°C on Immunohistochemistry" J Histotechnol 28(1):45-46.).

Some researches (and I say SOME not all), often with limited understanding of the processes of histotechnology, will sprout expertise and knowledge that is based on flimsy evidence. Fixing in formalin seems to be one of these. Someone decided in their wisdom to fix at 4oC. Why?, Based on what? So others thought it sounded good to do it this way and problems have occurred ever since.

Preventing over-fixation in formalin will invariably cause over-fixation in ethanol.

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
The Children's Hospital at Westmead,
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead, 2145, AUSTRALIA.
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318

-----Original Message-----
From: Gaupp, Dina D [mailto:dgaupp <@t> tulane.edu]
Sent: Thursday, 5 June 2008 9:38 AM
To: Tony Henwood
Subject: RE: [Histonet] mouse heart chatter upon sectioning...

Fix @4C to prevent overfixation.  I didn't think ice crystals could form @4C.

Process temps are all performed at room temp. except of course, paraffin tremp is 57C.

Process times vary according to size & complexity of tissue.  The last process time for mouse hearts was total of 5hrs.  But it still didn't work.  The tissue still chattered.  I had to soak the block in ice cold water to soften the tissue.  What schedule would you recommend processing mouse hearts?  Alot of the principle investigators like to leave their tissues at 4C in fix.  Does this form ice crystals?  Only thing is every other tissue besides hearts cut perfect.  So I wouldn't think it would be ice crystals making it chatter.

Dina