[Histonet] BSA in immunhistochemistry

Caroline Bass cbass <@t> wfubmc.edu
Thu Jul 31 13:14:57 CDT 2008

Hey Guys,

I am trying to set up EGFP IHC in rat brain and just ran the first set of
tissue through.  We just guessed at the primary and secondary antibody
concentrations, and we used an ABC kit with vector-sg substrate.  The
sections developed very quickly with lots of background.  My guess is to
decrease the primary concentration and maybe block longer.  However, we¹ve
encountered a lot of IHC protocols that use BSA during blocking.  I¹m
hesitant due to the expense though.  Any suggestions as to whether this will
help and if so is there a cheap source of BSA that I can use?

Thanks,

Caroline Bass