[Histonet] Re: Alcian yellow

Robert Richmond RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com
Thu Jul 31 12:33:10 CDT 2008

Jenny (where?) asks:  >>I wanted to get some feed back from anyone
using Alcian yellow as opposed to Giemsa for staining Helicobacter
pylori.  Right now we are using Giemsa for detection of H. pylori, and
are considering changing to Alcian yellow. Just wanted your opinion of
what is most preferred by the pathologists.<<

Alcian yellow is a dye that cannot be manufactured safely for the
workers who make it, and it's now only made in countries that do not
concern themselves about worker safety. For a substitute, go to
Anatech's Web site (anatechltdusa.com). I have no connection with
Anatech.

I have no experience with any of these stains. Giemsa (better just to
use Diff-Quik II or a generic substitute, or prepare toluidine blue
yourself). In my experience the immunostain is much faster to read,
but I don't think it's known to be more sensitive. If I have one
Giemsa slide to read and a work load of 15 cases a day, Giemsa is
fine. If I have ten gastric biopsies and a work load of 70 cases a
day, then I want the immunostain.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN