[Histonet] Alcohol fixation and immuno

Richard Cartun Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org
Thu Jul 31 09:45:59 CDT 2008

Are they using pure alcohol for fixation?  I do IHC for a  dermpath lab that uses alcoholic formalin and their tissue stains very well.  The only difference is we have had to cut-back on our antigen retrieval for certain proteins.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, Ph.D.
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 545-1596
(860) 545-0174 Fax

>>> "Martin, Erin" <Erin.Martin <@t> ucsf.edu> 07/30/08 1:31 PM >>>
Hi everyone,

We occassionally get blocks from outside labs that use alcohol as the fixative.  Our pathologist told me that our immunos look pretty bad when we handle these cases in the same manner as our routine FFPE cases. He is most concerned with Ki67 and K/L.   I tried them with no antigen retrieval but got no staining at all.  Any thoughts?  We only do derm.

Thanks,
Erin