[Histonet] Alcohol lamps

Mike Pence mpence <@t> grhs.net
Tue Jul 29 10:29:00 CDT 2008

As the "safety Nazi" of our lab I wrote a policy that stated that there
was to be no eating, drinking, or smoking in the lab. I also put in this
policy that there was to be no open flames. This is best practice for
safety and a condition of employment in our lab. Even if you are a "old
timer" in the lab, times change and so does practices. You have to
change with the times or get out of the lab business!

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Kurtz,
Mathew
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 9:59 AM
To: Rittman, Barry R; Peterson, Dan; histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Alcohol lamps

Barry,

I agree with you to a certain extent.  Actually, you remind me of the
debate whether or not to let people carry concealed weapons.  Even
highly trained people are still able to have an ACCIDENT(S).  You will
never know when or where it will happen, what you do know is it will
happen.  The proof is the in the story about the fire in the Chicago lab
in 1971.

The point is, if you get rid of them, it is one less accident waiting to
happen.  Although it may be a pain the butt, and we don't all agree,
that is the goal of the safety Nazi....right!?

Mathew P. Kurtz HT

P.S.  Hey Jasper!!!