[Histonet] Alcohol lamps

Peterson, Dan 1dpeterson <@t> meriter.com
Mon Jul 28 11:21:28 CDT 2008

Fellow Histonetters,
I am in disagreement with our lab's Safety officer with regards to
alcohol lamps. We use them in our embedding area to keep our forceps
clean.
The officer says that they're a fire hazard (even though we've used them
without incident for over 30 yrs). There are no flammable reagents
(other than the alcohol in the lamp) near the embedding area. I know we
could use the warming wells on the embedders, but try to find more that
1 pair of forceps that you like, or better yet, try to find a forceps
that the tech before hasn't left paraffin all over it. (Yes, I am a
fussy old goat, 27 yrs of Histo, with my 1 favorite pair that NOBODY
touches)
Petty issue? Are there others out there using lamps? I am willing to
change if necessary (or so ordered), but would like to hear from those
who do the work, not be told what to do by those who know nothing of the
work. Thanks in advance!!

Daniel R Peterson HT(ASCP)
Histopathology Section Head
Meriter Laboratories
(608)-417-6557
1dpeterson <@t> meriter.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message (including any attachments) is
intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is
addressed. This message may contain information that is confidential and
is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying or distribution of this
message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error,
please immediately notify the sender by reply email and then delete the
message. Thank you.