[Histonet] Autofluorescence blocking ---- LONG REPLY

Gayle Callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Tue Jul 15 18:35:13 CDT 2008

One of the best reviews of autofluorescence and how to get rid of it in
found on www.IHCworld website.  There is a link to a wonderful discussion on
this from a group in Toronto if you go to to the fluorescence topic in
IHCworld.  I also have a review of autofluorescence pertaining to GFP but it
applies to immunofluorescent staining too.  If you want that, I will forward
privately.

The Toronto group discusses the different sources of autofluorescence from
naturally occuring to what is induced by aldehydes, plus suggestions for
eliminating each type.  If you want, I can also forward this pdf to you.

I have put together a document from all Histonet responses pertaining to
this problem, so forgive the long cut and pasted, sometimes repeated
information below. We use the 100 mM glycine method, on rehydrated sections
for 20 minutes (flood section as you would with an antibody).  I have seen
300 mM glycine used also, at same pH and buffer.  100 mM has worked well for
us.

Good luck and hope you have the proper glowing results.  I have not given
recognition to the gentleman who initially put this together, but I am
grateful he did it.

Gayle M. Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)
Bozeman MT

1. After rehydrating your (formalin fixed or paraformaldehyde fixed paraffin
embedded sections, OR NBF or PFA fixed frozen sections) and before blocking
for protein incubate them in 100 mM glycine for 20 minutes.  This will
quench autofluorescence caused by free aldehydes. Works like a charm, I use
it .  2. I've pretty much moved away from doing IF on paraffin embedded
stuff (ICC yes) but I have had some experience trying to knock back
autofluorescence (endogenous and fix related) in tissue sections.I've had
some luck pre-treating fixed sections w/ one of the following:1.  50mM
Ammonium chloride in PBS for 10 min.2.  0.1M Glycine in PBS, pH 7.4 for 5-10
min.3.  1% Sodium borohydride in PBS for 10-20 min. It varies from sample to
sample which method works the best but I've had the most success w/ the
borohydride and NH4Cl methods.Autofluorescence can be brought on by certain
endogenous tissue constituents, ie. fibronectin, lipofuscin and elastin, as
well as by fixation in aldehydes. You don't say if your sections are fixed
or not. If so, you should look at using sodium borohydride (0.5mg/ml in PBS)
for 5 minutes (glutaraldehyde) or PBS plus a few drops of 1M
glycine(formaldehyde) to block any reactive  groups. ***Sodium borohydride
is flammable on contact with water, and harmful by ingestion, inhalation
etc.  Take adequate precautions*** Another thing to consider is reducing the
section thickness, if possible,  as the intensity of autofluorescence is
related to this.  You also don't mention what fluorochromes you are using.
It may be   worthwhile trying a fluorochrome of a longer wavelength as there
is less  likelihood of any spectral overlap with the endogenous material. As
I   mentioned in an earlier posting today. we have had good results
switching  to the Alexa dyes (Molecular Probes).  There are a couple of
simple things you can do to help reduce autofluorescence.Some of the
chemical reactions causing autofluorescence occur most rapidly with higher
temperatures and on exposure to light. Therefore, performing the labelingat
4 C in the dark can help reduce this problem.Autofluorescence intensity is
related to section thickness. You may want to try thinner sections if at all
possible. Sometimes using fluorophores excited at longer wavelengths can
help diminish autofluorescence.If autofluorescence is still an issue, there
are a few preincubation steps you could try. A Tris-glycine mixture (adjust
0.1M glycine to pH 7.2-7.4 with 1M Tris base) will saturate free aldehyde
groups. (15-30 minutes at room temp in Tris-glycine.Wash well in PBS.  The
use of 1% sodium borohydride in PBS helps reduce any free aldehyde groups in
the tissue, making them non-reactive. Incubate sections for 30 minutes
inborohydride and then wash well(minimum 15 minutes) in several changes of
PBS.Proceed with labeling. These techniques can be used alone or
sequentially. If the tissue is fragile though, only use the Tris-glycine
method.  Please note that sodium borohydride is very reactive and is
flammable on contact with water.  Another technique to block unreacted
groups is to incubate sections for 5 minutes in 50mM NH4Cl, and rinse in PBS
before labeling.