[Histonet] Re: HER2 fixation time

C.M. van der Loos c.m.vanderloos <@t> amc.uva.nl
Mon Jan 28 02:13:47 CST 2008

Hi,
During my workshop in Denver 'how to make a new antibody work for IHC?'
I showed the audience a picture taken from the paper of Shi, Liu and
Taylor in J Histochem Cytochem 55:105-109, 2007. In this paper there is
the result shown of a fixation experiment from 6 hs to 30 days.
According to the images presented there is no loss of Her2 within that
time frame.

Cheers,
Chris van der Loos, PhD
Dept. of Pathology
Academic Medical Center M2-230
Meibergdreef 9
NL-1105 AZ Amsterdam
The Netherlands

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:15:56 -0500
From: "Danielson, Keith" <Keith.Danielson <@t> uphs.upenn.edu>
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Re: HER2 fixation time
To: "Rene J Buesa" <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com>,	"Della Speranza, Vinnie"
	<dellav <@t> musc.edu>,	"Dawson, Glen"
<GDawson <@t> dynacaremilwaukee.com>
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu

Hello,

The link below might be of interest. The article cites an interesting
study by Arber in 2002 (Arber DA. Effect of prolonged formalin fixation
on the immunohistochemical reactivity of breast markers. Appl
Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2002;10:183-186.). He demonstrated that
prolonged fixation of breast tissues in formalin for 7-14 days did not
significantly affect immunoreactivity of Her2. I have not been able to
get the full article yet -- I would appreciate receiving a PDF of it.

 http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3725/is_200710/ai_n21099762

I am currently growing Her2 expressing cells in cell culture and plan
to examine the effect of formalin fixation time and paraffin embedding
on immnunoreactivity by IHC. Basically, I am making some control Her2
paraffin blocks for validation purposes.

Keith Danielson, PhD
Department of Pathology
Pennsylvania Hospital
Philadelphia, PA 19107