[Histonet] HER2neu Fixation times

Richard Cartun Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org
Thu Jan 24 08:57:05 CST 2008

Personally, I would not initiate any drastic changes at this point.  Keep in mind that these are guidelines; however, you must validate your testing if you are going to follow other fixation guidelines.  I think everyone knowledgeable with this issue knows that the problem is with underfixation, not overfixation.  I recently pulled tumor out of formalin after 8 months of fixation and the IHC was still "3+" and the FISH showed beautiful amplification (ratio of 10.0).  I hope that once the scientific evidence is evaluated, these guidelines will be changed.  Major expense is being incurred here unnecessarily.  How is your concordance between IHC and FISH for the detection of HER2?  If it's not broken, don't try to fix it.  Our "ad-hoc" committee on IHC standardization is meeting in Santa Barbara on Sunday and I hope this issue will be discussed.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, Ph.D.
Director, Immunopathology & Histology
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 545-1596
(860) 545-0174 Fax

>>> Ramona Turner <mona_diane <@t> hotmail.com> 01/24/08 9:24 AM >>>

This is a followup to a recent question asking what do small histology labs do about proper fixation time for HER2neu if there is no weekend rotation......

I would also like to know....other than having a rotation tech to start the processor on Saturday, I can't think of a solution....A Saturday rotation would be a great hardship for three techs to maintain, plus that is one of the perks of the job is not having to work weekends.

Any ideas?

Ramona Turner, HT (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
POTOMAC HOSPITAL